The jazzy/soulish singer may have been the runner-up in Idol Sweden Season 4 but she has seen more succes than that year winner, Marie Picasso, whose popularity due to appearing in  Big Brother led her to win it all. After being defeted by Marie by a margin of only 2%, Amanda inked a record deal with Epic Records and on May 7, 2008 she released her debut. Now, with only 21 years, Amanda has two platinum certified albums, her 2008 debut Killing My Darlings which charted #1 on the Swedish charts, and her 2009 sophomore album Happyland which charted #3.

Before deciding to audition for Idol, Amanda was  part of a band called "Oh Hollie Neverdays", where she  had the chance to perform her original songs. In May 2007, just 4 months before auditioning for Idol, the band won the Swedish competition "Musik Direkt". Their prize was a tour in Gambia, I wonder why it wasn't a tour in Sweden or maybe it wasn't a musical tour but a travel tour like,whatever.

Nearly after coming second on Idol, on January 23, 2008 she released her first single "Do You Love Me" being followed by "Amarula Tree" on April 16 and a full album in May 7. Her second and successful effort Happyland was released on October 28, 2009.

Amanda has since been nominated for the Swedish Grammy Awards and after her succesful second album, she went to win two of them, "Best Female Artist" and "Best Composer".

Watch her Idol performances, album reviews and Happyland video premiere following the link.



Idol Performances:



This is one of the most beautiful covers of Hallelujah I've ever heard, it's very slow at the beggining but it heats up at the end with Amanda hitting very high notes.



After listening to this cover of No One once, you won't be able to stop playing it over and over again, it's so cool.

Album Reviwes: 

Killing My Darlings 
A very good debut, altough I prefer her sophomore but this album is very good too. Her deep and jazzy voice is so pleasant that I might listen to her albums forever. It has also the perfect combination of uptempo and downtempo songs making it a perfect album. Don't quiet uderstand her nurse look on the cover but I like it. My personal favourite is Amarula Tree, where she shows all her vocal ability.


Happyland




One of the best albums of 2009, Happyland is definitely on my Top 10 list of albums. If you ask me what is my favourite song of it, I won't be able to decide. I'm in love with all the songs. I may say Happyland or Borderline for their catchy effect but the other songs are very good as well. Should you buy her albums? Yes, buy them, NOW!


Happyland Video

Share this :